Thursday, November 6, 2008

Rewind Two Weeks back



While I was home in California for the weekend taking my firefighter test, I decided to take Tucker out to Anna's and work sheep, since I didn't have Chesney to work that weekend (he was still in Louisiana) I could concentrate on by Big Guy. On the way out there (it was early and I was driving with just Tucker) I got to thinking these crazy ideas. At least at first they seemed crazy, but the more I thought about it, the more I figured... Why not? And for this crazy thinking I was doing... I was thinking of trying to see if I could train Tucker up to run him in a Nov/Nov level course! Yep, crazy, I know. Well, crazy if you know Tucker and have seen him work. 

Now lets take a few steps back to a week or so before all this. I found an English Shepherd Yahoo group. I posted some pictures and described Tucker's personality, everyone said that without a doubt they think Tucker is an English Shepherd. So I started doing some research on the groups archives to see if people have posted anything about working their dogs to see what their working traits were. 

With this new information and way of thinking on how I was going to start Tucker for real this time, got me thinking that I could make him useful (not that he doesn't have a purpose of being the worlds greatest family dog). So we pull up and get out, I just let Tucker out of the car and he was very good. He just hung out with the other dogs, ran around a little, road with us to fix a fence, then hung out by the tree while I caught up with Anna, all the while the group of sheep were loose in the field and he didn't bother them. 

I took him in to work three times that day, the first time I took him in it was burning off excited energy from not working regularly. Typical young, new dog stuff. I will say though, this time, compared to the first time I brought him out to work (almost 2 years before) he was simply listening better and acting much more responsive to my body language and pressure. Taking him out after the first work and letting him think helped for the second time I worked him. We spent much less time circling and more time actually fetching, even though he was still moving to fast and wearing a lot. The third time I took him in I had him walking and trotting slower behind the group and you could actually see him start thinking about where he needed to be, how hard he needed to push... and get this... actually stopping (either sitting or laying down) when I asked for a lay down. 

On the drive home I had a new found confidence that my crazy idea wasn't so crazy... maybe. Only time will tell though, whether Mr. Tucker can handle the pressure of working with a person and progressing through the stages of training. Even if he doesn't make it past a novice level he will serve as a good teacher for me, helping me fine tune my working and handling abilities. 




">

">

">

1 comment:

Luisa Lapus-Tiong said...

Congratulations on your blog! The DogTime.com team has been reading through hundreds of pet-related blogs and we've selected your blog to be a DogTime Blog Star. We invite you to join the DogTime Blog Network based on the following criteria:

Enthusiasm and love of for pets
Relevant and thorough pet content

Who is DogTime? DogTime Media is the largest online community of animal lovers with nearly 8.2 million unique visitors per month and over 180 member sites which include the best dog, cat, bird, fish, reptile and horse content from across the pet category. Please visit DogTime.com to learn more about our mission.

As a DogTime Blog Star more pet enthusiasts will see and read your blog and provide you with the opportunity to share your love of animals. Once you have joined the DogTime Blog Network there may be an opportunity for you to qualify to make advertising revenue.

Participation is simple, as we will use your existing RSS feed to feature your blog and posts. If you would like to participate, simply reply to this email with the URL of your RSS feed.

We will reply back with your own DogTime Blog Star badge to post on your blog site. For more details about the benefits of participating in the DogTime Blog Network please refer to our FAQs. If you have additional questions please contact me directly.

Thanks, and we hope you Find Your Wag!

Luisa Lapus Tiong
luisa@dogtime.com | 877-348-Pets(7387)

DogTime Media | 27 Maiden Lane, Suite 700 | San Francisco, CA 94106